
We welcomed the newest member of our family on Sunday, November 29th, 2009 at 10:22am, just two days shy of my due date. Mild contractions started Saturday evening around 7pm, and by 10pm, they were about 5 minutes apart & pretty intense. With my other two pregnancies, I didn't have contractions to let me know I was going into labor. My water just broke to let me know it was time. So, with the contractions getting closer & more painful, we decided to take a trip to the hospital. Luckily, we have great neighbors who were able to watch Caleigh while we took a trip to Labor & Delivery. Thank you "Grandpa Jack & Grandma Rayma."

Greg & I arrived at the hospital just before midnight, and sure enough...I was in true labor. I was dilated at 4cm at that time, with the contractions getting more and more unbearable. Luckily, they didn't have to induce me because I was progressing well. My water broke about 1:30am with me dilated at 6cm. I had asked for an epidural, and by the time the anesthesiologist arrived to administer it, it was after 3am. It definitely took the edge off and within half an hour, I couldn't feel any of the contractions which seemed to be flying off the charts. Thank goodness!!


However, there was a bit of a downside to having the epidural. It seemed as if time was passing by much slower after I got it. I wasn't dilating as quick, and it was nearly 8am by the time I got to 10cm. Greg & I got as much rest as we could in those 5 hours. Once it was time to push, I wasn't able to because I still couldn't feel anything from the waist down. They had to stop the epidural & wait for it to wear off. One one hand, I think if I would have avoided the epidural in the first place, I could have avoided the long wait & the 2 and a half hours of pushing that was to come. 20/20 hindsight, right? But, on the other hand, I know I could NOT have handled the pain without it.

Once I started to push and the epidural was wearing off, I could definitely feel major pains in my lower back. The doctor said it was because the baby was in
posterior position (aka "face-up" or "sunny side up")that caused back labor. Needless to say, I was completely exhausted after 2 hours into it. That's when they had to use the vacuum extraction to help deliver him. And then, that moment FINALLY arrived. At 10:22am, our little angel was born. He had a bit of a cone head since he was in the birth canal for so long, but all I remember Greg saying once his head was out was "Awww...he's cute, babe. He's cute!"


Unfortunately, the hospital wasn't allowing children under 18 to visit because of the whole swine flu outbreak, so Chance wasn't able to meet his big sister until we left the hospital. Caleigh was so happy when she met her baby brother. She loved being able to hold him & give him kisses.

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY CHANCE.
WE LOVE YOU!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment